Elastic is not easy to handle due to grip and elasticity when startup sewist tries to stitch elastic along with waistband that’s become quite complicated task due to lack of handling and measurement. I have done 20+ pajama/shorts tutorials and each of them has elastic waistband instructions but I realize my beginner sewist are facing difficulty so all the new sewist you are going to learn the easy making of an elastic waistband. You can browse our youtube channel for more tutorials (Channel Link listed in sidebar →). I am going to explain you step by step process here, So let start with DIY elastic waistband with a casing.
1. Before you start waistband work, you need to complete with following checklist:
After above steps, measure waistband.
2. Measure Elastic by stretching it, only 35% stretch required. Or Divide waistband to half, e.g. 28/2=14, Take 14Inch elastic for 28Inch waistband.
3. Sew end of the elastic.
4. Pin stitch elastic part over hipline seam top, after that backside of the hipline. See below images for reference.
5. Stretch elastic till the side on the both side and pin it.
7. Now you got attached elastic after pin
8. Seam top hemline along with elastic( for secure elastic waistband with casing).
9. Fold with single hem over the elastic.
11. For secure waistband casing, we have done double hemline.
12. Look after double fold seam.
Elastic waistband step 23
This tutorial is especially for dummies or beginners, Hopefully, Make easy Elastic Waistband is now way easy for you guys, Try to practice with pajama or even practice on old fabrics. You can contact us for further help and any sewing project you want to learn.
Keep visiting us and do Comment, let us know what you want to learn more in the Customized sewing world.